Monday, March 9, 2009

Three-wicket hero believes more is still to come

New Zealand star Kate Pulford has revealed her delight following her performance in Sunday’s win over Australia at the ICC Women’s World Cup.

Her three wickets, including the dismissals of Shelley Nitschke, Karen Rolton and Lisa Sthalekar, set her side on the way to victory by 13 runs (D/L method) at North Sydney Oval, but the 28-year-old still believes she can bowl better.

“It is the best results I have ever had, but I think I can bowl better than that, as there are lot of balls that I would not bowl again, probably including Rolton’s six over my head,” said Pulford, speaking from her hotel in Sydney on Monday.

“With the top batters, it is important to get the ball in the right areas consistently and it worked for me.

“The ball following Rolton’s six was a bouncer and she acknowledged that it was a good ball and it brings out the extra fire in the belly. It is special when you can get on top of somebody of that calibre.”

Pulford, recalled to the national team in February after a six-year absence, admits that she thought only months ago that she had no chance of making selection for this tournament and that she owes her opportunity to Gary Stead, the New Zealand coach.

“Up until December last year I had no thoughts of playing this World Cup at all. Not because I didn’t want to but because I had been out of the frame for so long and perhaps there was a reason, which I didn’t know about, which explained why I wasn’t being picked,” said Pulford.

“I did have an inkling when there was a change in coach that there might be a chance as Gary Stead approached me after the first round of our state league about my availability and that gave me a slight window of hope.

“I am so glad to be back in the team environment as I love playing for New Zealand.”

Pulford, who works as a strategic business analyst, believes that her absence from the international side has made her appreciate the opportunity to play for the national team.

“I appreciate it more for myself as it is just as special as when I made my debut ten years ago. It has given me a bit of perspective being able to focus on my career outside of cricket and life outside of cricket and having that extra bit of life experience and knowing what it is like to fail.”

With the West Indies, who enjoyed an exciting two-wicket win over South Africa on Sunday, the next match for the White Ferns in a busy tournament schedule, Pulford believes that Tuesday’s match will be a tough clash.

 “We are taking each game as it comes and we will respect all our opposition as the West Indies are deservedly in the top eight in the world and we are not going to take them lightly,” she said.


ICC Women's World Cup 2009 - News   Monday, March 09, 2009 12:01:08 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment